Training and Services
Local and State Government Tutorials
- Tutorials on File Naming (YouTube video)
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources has created a short, easy-to-understand tutorial on file naming. A four-part tutorial, it describes why file naming is important, how to change a file name and the dos and don'ts of file naming, which mirror Pennsylvania's electronic policies.
- Bulk PDF/A-This is a brief tutorial on how to convert a folder or more of digital documents to PDF/A using Acrobat Pro 2017.
State Employee Training
Classroom Courses (not web-based)
- Intro to ERMS (Enterprise Rec. Mgmt. Sys)
- Records Mgmt. for Records Coordinators
- Scheduling Records-Using the Enterprise Records Action System (ERAS)
- State Records Management 16-17
- File Plans-A course is forthcoming. Documents for the class:
Register for Classroom and Web Courses
Registration for the trainings listed above is available through the Learning Solution (LSO) for all Commonwealth Employees under the Governor's jurisdiction.
- Log on to MyCommonwealth Workplace
- Click on My Training to go to Learning Solution (LSO).
For the Classroom course:
- Under Course Catalogs, click on PA Historical & Museum Commission.
- Scroll down to Assigned Courses and click on the desired class.
- At the bottom is Course Dates and if the class is scheduled a date will be highlighted.
- Click on the date and then book the class. If there are no dates available and you would like to be notified when there is a class you can click prebook.
For the Web course:
- Click on left side-OA Sponsored Training for All Agencies, then in Assigned Subject Areas click Enterprise Web-Based Training, then New Hires Mandatory WBT.
- Click on State Records Management 16-17 and follow the instructions to start the web course.
If a class does not have a self-enrollment option or if you need assistance email State Records Management or call 717-783-7330.
Local and State Government Training and Consultation
In order to promote sound records management practices and the proper care of historical records, the Bureau of the Pennsylvania State Archives provides consultation or training in the following areas:
- Overview on proper records management
- Helping local government agencies implement the appropriate records retention and disposition schedules
- Providing technical advice on standards approved by the County and Local Government Records Committees
- Assisting local government officials working to establish centralized records management /archives programs
- Providing assistance on the proper care and storage of inactive records
- Provide advice on designing a records disaster plan and an essential records plan
For more information on local government services and training, please contact:
Email Local Government staff
Other Organization Trainings
- Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC)
MARAC holds a conference and workshops twice a year; in the spring and fall. The conference has many training opportunities not only for archivists, but records managers.
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
The National Archives has training opportunities primarily for federal records officers but some are relevant to local government and Commonwealth employees.
- Association for Information and Image Management (AIIM)
AIIM is focused on research and best practices and can help organizations, including government entities find, control and optimize their information.
- ARMA International
ARMA is the professional organization for records and information professionals. ARMA has a large national convention as well as regional chapter workshops and online certificate programs.