Pennsylvania Historic Preservation Board Information
Each State historic preservation program is required by the National Historic Preservation Act, as amended, to maintain an adequate and qualified State Review Board (in Pennsylvania, known as the Historic Preservation Board).
Duties of the Historic Preservation Board
- Review National Register nominations and nomination appeals;
- Review and provide advice about the State's Comprehensive Statewide Historic Preservation Plan and the State's Annual Historic Preservation Fund Grant;
- Provide general advice and guidance to the State Historic Preservation Officer (PHMC Executive Director); and,
- Perform other duties as may be appropriate.
Pennsylvania Historic Preservation Board
- Is a primarily professional body that provides professional advice on historic preservation matters. "Primarily professional" means that a majority of the members must meet minimum professional requirements established in regulation by the National Park Service; and represent certain professional disciplines established by the Act.
- Must be able to objectively carry out their duties. This is the reason for the National Park Service's requirements that all State Review Boards establish and abide by rules of conduct that avoid conflict of interest.
To learn more, see the National Park Service publication Manual for State Historic Preservation Review Boards.
2017 Meeting Schedule
Meetings generally begin at 9:45 am. Review of National Register nominations begins at 12:15 pm. Please contact the office to learn of a particular meeting's start time, (717) 783-8946.
Commonwealth Keystone Building, 2nd Floor
State Historic Preservation Office, Meadowcroft Room
400 North Street
Cumberland County Historical Society, Todd Hall
21 N. Pitt Street
Rachel Carson Building - Room 105
400 Market Street
Historic Preservation Board Members
Historic Preservation Consultant
Steven Burg, Ph.D.
Richard Leonori, AIA
Jeff Slack, AICP
Rob Armstrong, Ph.D.
Economic Development Director
Heritage Tourism Director
Historic Landscape Architect
Lynne Calamia, PhD
Christine Ussler, AIA