Pennsylvania Historic Preservation Board Information
Each State historic preservation program is required by the National Historic Preservation Act, as amended, to maintain an adequate and qualified State Review Board (in Pennsylvania, known as the Historic Preservation Board).
Duties of the Historic Preservation Board
- Review National Register nominations and nomination appeals;
- Review and provide advice about the State's Comprehensive Statewide Historic Preservation Plan and the State's Annual Historic Preservation Fund Grant;
- Provide general advice and guidance to the State Historic Preservation Officer (PHMC Executive Director); and,
- Perform other duties as may be appropriate.
Pennsylvania Historic Preservation Board
- Is a primarily professional body that provides professional advice on historic preservation matters. "Primarily professional" means that a majority of the members must meet minimum professional requirements established in regulation by the National Park Service; and represent certain professional disciplines established by the Act.
- Must be able to objectively carry out their duties. This is the reason for the National Park Service's requirements that all State Review Boards establish and abide by rules of conduct that avoid conflict of interest.
2020 Meeting Schedule
Meetings generally begin at 9:45 am. Review of National Register nominations begins at 12:15 pm. Please contact the office to learn of a particular meeting's start time at (717) 783-8946.
Rachel Carson Building
400 Market Street, Room 105
The Pennsylvania Historic Preservation Board's meeting for June 2, 2020 will now be held via Skype teleconference in light of ongoing public safety measures being undertaken because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The meeting will begin at 10:00 AM.
The meeting is open to the public. Please contact Elizabeth Rairigh at email@example.com or (717) 705-4035 with questions about how to access this meeting. (TDD users: Pennsylvania Telecommunications Center 7-1-1)
Location To Be Announced
Historic Preservation Board Members
Rob Armstrong, Ph.D.
Heritage Tourism Director
Historic Landscape Architect
Lynne Calamia, Ph.D.
Christine Ussler, AIA
Ira Beckerman, Ph.D., RPA
Ben Ford, Ph.D.
Lindsay Varner, Ph.D.