Proposals must adhere to professional archival standards for the care, preparation, and storage of materials. For further information see the Pennsylvania State Archives’ “Archives Without Tears” (AWOT)
and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s
Examples of Ineligible Project Activities
• endowments, prizes, or awards
• general operating support
• capital improvement projects
• lobbying-related expenses or expenses for entertainment
• existing part-time or full-time staff positions (this includes hiring part-time staff during their nonworking hours)
• projects that have been initiated prior to the date of the award
• projects that serve a religious purpose or promote religious dogma
• any project whose results are not publicly available, except where prohibited by law
• projects involving widely published or non-original materials, such as newspapers, published maps and ephemera, except in cases where those materials: 1. are unlikely to exist elsewhere e.g.: a small community newspaper of historical significance with no other known existing copies; 2. uniquely document a community, organization, or business, e.g.: newsletters or concert programs; or 3. provide distinct context based on the creator’s organization, e.g.: news clippings and ephemera assembled in such a way as to offer additional insight in to a business, community, or event
projects dealing with works-of-art, published books, textiles,
, or museum objects
• records or office management projects that do not relate to normal archival functions or goals, such as projects for the creation of a new filing, storage, or retrieval system for active non-permanent office files.
Selection Process and Criteria
The panel of grant reviewers will be using this
criteria (PDF) to score all applications.
Please note that providing only the required information in the grant system and skipping other sections of the application may result in lower scores. The grant applications will be scored on by the panel on how well they meet this criteria. (Sample HARC evaluation scoring sheet (PDF)).