Examples of Ineligible Project Activities
• endowments, prizes, or awards
• general operating support
• capital improvement projects
• lobbying-related expenses or expenses for entertainment
• existing part-time or full-time staff positions (this includes hiring part-time staff during their nonworking hours)
• projects that have been initiated prior to the date of the award
• projects that serve a religious purpose or promote religious dogma
• any project whose results are not publicly available, except where prohibited by law
• projects involving widely published or non-original materials, such as newspapers, published maps and ephemera, except in cases where those materials: 1. are unlikely to exist elsewhere e.g.: a small community newspaper of historical significance with no other known existing copies; 2. uniquely document a community, organization, or business, e.g.: newsletters or concert programs; or 3. provide distinct context based on the creator’s organization, e.g.: news clippings and ephemera assembled in such a way as to offer additional insight in to a business, community, or event
projects dealing with works-of-art, published books, textiles,
, or museum objects
• records or office management projects that do not relate to normal archival functions or goals, such as projects for the creation of a new filing, storage, or retrieval system for active non-permanent office files.
Selection Process and Criteria
The panel of grant reviewers will be using this
criteria (PDF) to score all applications.
Please note that providing only the required information in the grant system and skipping other sections of the application may result in lower scores. The grant applications will be scored on by the panel on how well they meet this criteria. (Sample HARC evaluation scoring sheet (PDF)).
Grants may only be submitted through the
online system from May 1 to August 1.
Your organization may need to register as a First Time User.
Once you register and login to the system, this is the easiest way to begin a new PHMC Cultural and Historical Support grant application:
- Create a Project Name such as "My PHMC Archival Grant."
- Select "YES" for "help selecting your program"
- Click "Create a new application"
- Select "PHMC" under the Agencies heading and click SEARCH
- Click "Apply" next to the Historical and Archival Records Care Grants
- It is critical that grantees retain login and password information throughout the lifecycle of their grant term. Please be sure to update contact information as necessary.
For assistance with the Electronic Single Application for Assistance system, please contact DCED's Customer Service at: (800) 379-7448,
Grant Application Timeline
May 1 of Application Year Application opens
May/June/July of Application Year Two HARC Grant webinars
August 1 of Application Year Application deadline
December of Application Year Recipients announced
January of Grant Cycle 1st Year Award/rejection letters mailed to applicants
Grant Timeline (2yr Cycle)
February-April of Grant Cycle 1st Year Grant agreements mailed to applicants
May 1 of Grant Cycle 1st Year Grant recipients will begin their projects
November 1 of Grant Cycle 1st Year First six-month Interim Report due
May 1 of Grant Cycle 2nd Year Second six-month Interim Report due
November 1 of Grant Cycle 2nd Year Third six-month Interim Report due
May 30 of Grant Cycle 2nd Year Grant project end date
June 31 of Grant Cycle 2nd Year Final Reports due
State Archives staff is available to assist in answering your questions. Contact Grant Manager Natasha Margulis,
email@example.com or 717-705-1676 with program related queries.
Additional resources (PDF)
Sample Grant Application (PDF)
HARC Grant Fact Sheet (PDF)