The Pennsylvania State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) collects information on cultural resources in Pennsylvania. This information comes from a variety of sources ranging from firms engaged in cultural resource management, to municipal and county governments planning for historic preservation, to private citizens interested in the history or prehistory of their property or community.
Cultural Resources is a term used to cover all of the resources that are considered by the National Register of Historic Places and includes
- historic buildings, structures, objects, sites, and districts,
- archaeological sites and districts,
- cultural landscapes, and
- traditional cultural places.
Electronic Data Submission is available for all resource types and is required when submitting new resource information for Environmental Review. Each type has different recording needs. PA SHPO has developed Electronic Data Submission guidance for most resource types, but maintains a series of forms that should be used for updates and specific resource types outlined below.
All updates to existing resources must be submitted as PDF forms. Those updates generated by Environmental Review survey must be submitted as attachments to survey reports.
For information on how to submit a property for consideration in the National Register of Historic Places, please see our National Register program.
Historic Buildings, Structures, Objects, Sites, and Districts
- Historic Resource Survey Form [HRSF], available as fillable PDF: This form is used to provide information sufficient to evaluate a cultural resource for eligibility for the National Register of Historic Places.
(For updating resources)
- Abbreviated HRSF (PDF): This form is used to provide baseline information on cultural resources either for reconnaissance survey or for cultural resources that are appear obviously ineligible for listing in the National Register. (For updating resources)
Specific Resource Types
- Building Complex Form (PDF): for recording building complexes such as estates with outbuildings or small crossroad villages; used as supplement to HRSF. (Attachment only)
- Historic District Inventory Worksheet (Excel): provides sufficient information to create a record for individual properties within a historic district, so inventory IDs can be created; used as supplement to HRSF. (For updating resources)
- PA Farm Survey Form (PDF): provides specific data on resources that comprise a farm or farmstead. The form allows for more detail about agricultural features than the HRSF; used as a supplement to HRSF. (For updating resources)
- Bridge Form (PDF): for recording bridges. (For updating resources)
Archaeological Sites and Districts
Annual Pass Report (PDF): Each year CRGIS produces a report that shows the density of recorded sites in each county across Pennsylvania.
For more information on recording archaeological properties, visit our Archaeology website.
Cultural Landscapes and Traditional Cultural Places
We do not currently have specialized forms for cultural landscapes and traditional cultural places. We recommend following the National Register guidance for recording these resources.
If you need assistance with any of forms, please email the CRGIS section.